If you’ve been involved in a car wreck as a victim of a distracted driver, an experienced personal injury attorney will help you get the recovery you deserve. With the rise of cell phones, more people are being injured or killed as a result of distracted driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted drivers are one of the leading causes of fatalities on America’s roads, with cell phone use topping the list of dangerous distractions. Levine Law Group PA in North and South Carolina lists some sobering facts about texting and driving:
- According to CDC statistics, nine people are killed every day due to an accident caused by a driver who was talking on a cell phone, eating, or texting.
- Almost 25% of the automobile accidents in America are caused by cell phone use, with 341,000 of those caused by texting alone.
- A driver can safely glance away from the road for about two seconds, on average. Checking a text message takes most people approximately five seconds. If you’re going 55 mph, this is the equivalent of driving across a football field with your eyes closed.
- Texting while driving is illegal in 46 states as well as Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Many studies have found that driving while texting may be just as dangerous as driving under the influence. For some people, it may be even more dangerous.
If you’ve been hurt by a distracted driver, don’t try to reach a car accident settlement alone. Visit Levine Law Group PA to learn about their legal services or call 1 800-CARWRECK to schedule a consultation with an attorney today.